Lead – Safe
Lead is a highly toxic metal that was used for many years in products found in and around our homes. In general, the older a home, the more likely it has lead-based paint, lead plumbing or lead solder joints. Lead can be found in dust, air, water, soil, and in some products used in and around our homes.
The most common sources of household lead are:
- Paint- The federal government banned lead-based paint from housing in 1978, but homes built before this time may have used lead paint.
- Dust- Household dust can be contaminated with lead from paint, as can the soil around a house whose exterior was painted with lead paint.
- Drinking water- Your home might have plumbing with lead or lead solder.
Lead can harm a young child’s growth, behavior, and ability to learn. Most often, children get lead poisoning from breathing in or swallowing dust from old lead paint that gets on floors and windowsills, hands and toys. Lead can also be passed from mother to baby during pregnancy. Adults can also get lead poisoning, especially through contact with lead in certain jobs or hobbies or when disturbing lead paint through renovation or remodeling activities.
Analysis of samples taken by Granite Inspection Group can determine if lead is present in paint, water, soil, toys or in the air via lead dust.
Contact Granite Inspection Group today at 845-635-2552 or email us!